Thumbnail pictures from the temple Enko-ji in Kyoto - Japan
Click the thumbnail to see the full image.
The temple Enko-ji first opened in 1601 in Fushimi. Tokugawa Ieyasu invited the Zen priest Kanshitsu Genkitsu to establish a place of learning under his civil administration policy. Later the temple began publishing the books known as Enkoji books. Wooden print types still exists. Enko-ji was relocated to its present site in 1667. Although the temple declined during the Meiji Restoration it was later restored as a training temple for Buddhist nuns. Today Enko-ji is a zen training temple of Nanzen-ji school. The fresh growth of early summer and colors of autumn are striking.
Copyright(c) 2006 Anker Nielsen. All rights reserved.